I’m continuing to “do” the vac-form sails. Each one needs to have the threads glued to the edges, as explained in the previous blog entry, and they need to be “weathered” in some way. I decided that the best way to do this would be to grind up some pastels and then rub the powder into the sail using the tools that God gave us on the ends of our hands.
Here is a before and after shot to make the effect more visible. The idea is to be subtle but not TOO subtle.
Here’s another one.
I have exactly one pastel–a sepia one. So that’s what we have going on here.
Some “highlights” were added using colored pencils. You can also see the threads that have been glued on. I did a “check” to attach the nose sail to the ship and see if the lines can be tied without tearing them from the sail. (I can hear the howling now! “Nose sail.”)
As Leslie Nielsen mis-read his line in Forbidden Planet–Check Gooooood!